Monday, August 9, 2010

Time Flies


I did not realize I had not updated my blog since March 29th. The spring months of April and May were extremely busy for me at work (Overby Center at Ole Miss), but I suppose the main reason I haven't updated for many months is because of a near-fatal car accident I had on May 25th. Without rehashing all of the incident I'll just say that God is good and I am a walking miracle. Still struggling with some lingering injuries, I am quite fortunate to be alive to feel the pain, frankly. God is not finished with me yet. I am back in the saddle again, pushing forward to the fall semester with great anticipation.

It is a bitter-sweet time at the Jeter household this week. My 15-year-old son, Alex returns to high school as an entering freshman. He's so excited, ready to hit the books and play ball. He has worked out almost every night lately trying to crunch his abs and build up his pecks (so funny). Everything about him has changed. He's maturing, getting so tall (over 6ft) and his "interests" have changed, as is the case with most 15-year-old boys (*wink).

My daughter, Alana mentioned this afternoon that she just might walk Alex to his first class tomorrow. She was emotional just thinking about the fact that she will NOT return to the same school, but is beginning a new chapter in her own life as a COLLEGE freshman. We are quite proud of her as she was awarded an ACT scholarship and will enter as a psych major. She is experiencing what I define as "excited nervousness." With 15 hours of coursework and one of those online, she will attend classes and continue to work her part-time job this fall.

You know, parenting is considered one of the most important jobs in the world. And while it may be one of the most rewarding, it is not easy. Neither is letting go. These are landmark years for our children, one entering high school and the other off to college. I'm 40 and my husband will turn 45 in December (really landmark years for us in a way). It is during these times I like to just step back, take a deep breath and take it all in...try to enjoy these first moments or experiences with our kids.

I've been reminiscing in my mind of how I cried the day I left them at daycare for the first time, and how I cried their first day of public kindergarten. I have pictures of the first time Alex stepped on the school bus and waved back at me. My heart just skipped a beat at that moment...I couldn't believe my baby was off to public school. While that was 10 years ago, it seems like yesterday - and now I find myself experiencing similar feelings... just can't believe my not-so-little man is off to high school tomorrow and my little girl has become a young woman and will walk onto the same college campus her father and I attended many years ago to begin to find her way in this crazy world.

My how times flies when you're having fun!

No comments: