Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oh Be Careful Little Tongue What You Say!

Some things have transpired lately and I've witnessed some situations that have really stimulated my thinking. Here's my soap box for the day!

We all make choices every minute of every day. Some of our choices or decisions are conscious ones that we have thought and prayed about before we even made them. Most other times, however, we are not even aware we have made a choice because it was an automatic response to an idea, a thought, or a circumstance. In some cases, that response is not a good one!


A Christian can ruin their witness by reacting in a negative way to circumstances. A ruined or damaged reputation, which might be difficult to repair, is the result of a wrong choice. Choosing to react inappropriately to the circumstances around us will impact our spiritual well being, and it will create the need to make a choice about repenting for the inappropriate behavior. A reputation is something we build over time by how we have reacted to the circumstances in our lives. It doesn't matter what our status is in life...no matter what position we hold...whether we are in management or low man on the totem pole at work, whether we are in church or some organizational leadership, or if we're just a prayer warrior on the pew, the actions and words that are projected from us make impressions on others...and youth are especially impressionable in these cases. If they witness negative or wrong behavior in someone - especially someone in leadership, it leaves a negative stigma in their mind of that person that often times is not easily erased, and you find that they lose respect.

Some of the factors that determine our reputation (as Christians) are based upon the following principles or actions:

~ Are we faithful to attend our local church?
~ Do we respect the pastor, other ministry and leadership of the church?
~ Are we helpful or are we a hindrance?
~ Do we pay our tithes regularly?
~ Do we sow negativity and discord?
~ Are we respectful of the property of the church and others, or are we careless with it?

A good reputation can be destroyed with just one bad choice...one negative incident, and it may be nearly impossible to repair the damage that has been done. Proverbs 18:19 says, "A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle."

We constantly fall short of perfection in living the "Christ-centered life" because of the choices we make. Forgiving ourselves and others is very often a difficult thing to do. When someone says something or does something that hurts us, we want revenge for the injustice we feel we have suffered. We may be wronged by a brother or sister without apology, but the Bible says in Romans 12:19 that we are not to take revenge, as that is God's and not our's. "Vengeance is mine thus saith the Lord."

One thing I was always taught is to respect the ministry and leadership of the church. It doesn't matter if you agree or not. I would never want to find myself paying for disrespectful actions - all because I couldn't control my temper or keep my tongue. I grew up practically living with my grandfather who pastored for over 35 years and I saw many things. But, now that I've been on this journey with my husband pastoring the last 7 years, I realize just how difficult and heavy that responsibility is.

I strongly believe we will stand before God and answer for how we chose to react in certain siutations. While we as individuals may not be able to control the circumstances we may find ourselves in, we can control how we "react" in situations. My husband has mentioned that often in his sermons, but more recently it has become a life-changing revelation to me. I know you've all witnessed people losing their temper...flying off and saying things they had no business saying. Well, while I still experience disappointment occasionally, I am no longer frustrated or surprised at the actions of other people...nothing surprises me and I guess it's because I've seen so much in my 40-year life span. People will fail you but God will never fail you. So, just be careful little tongue what you say, because when those words leave your mouth...you can't take them back and your actions and reactions will linger in the minds of those who witnessed it. Lord don't ever let me ruin my witness. Remember...Psalm 19:14 says, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

Ok, that's my sermon (or soap box) for the day. Have a good one.

No comments: