
I didn't want to let the day pass without posting something as I am making every effort to post daily, or at least 5 days a week. I do have a good thought I want to post, but I need a little more time to finalize it. Since I'm feeling a little under the weather today, I'm going to develop it further and will post it later.
So many of my friends are sick with the flu and the cold weather, rain and snow have not helped matters any. I have a "dry" cough and this occasional weighty feeling like a cinder block is on my chest. I'm running a little fever and have had chills since late yesterday afternoon. I got up at 3 a.m. and put on a thick bathrobe over my PJs as well as a pair of socks. I crawled back in bed with all that on, covered up with a sheet, comforter and quilt on top of that...still had chills. I have no runny nose or sore throat but my head has hurt since yesterday. After coming in to the office and doing a little research, I discovered the following:
COLD vs. FLU:
Fever is rare with a cold. Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 100°F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the flu. (GREAT!!!)
A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold. A non-productive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough). (HELLO?)
Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week. Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the flu. (LOVELY!)
Chills are uncommon with a cold. 60% of people who have the flu experience chills. (THIS IS NOT LOOKING GOOD!)
Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days. The flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains. (JUST HIT ME SUNDAY ALL OF A SUDDEN).
A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold. A headache is very common with the flu, present in 80% of flu cases. (GOOD LORD - I HAD TO TAKE TYLENOL LAST NIGHT AND TODAY FOR BAD HEADACHE.)
Sore throat is commonly present with a cold. Sore throat is not commonly present with the flu. (I HAVE NOT HAD A SORE THROAT.)
Hmm...I don't remember ever having the flu. I've had bronchitis and walking pneumonia - but not the flu. My dad has just had a 2-week bout with it and lost 20 pounds in the process...was very weak and stayed in bed. Geesh...I'm starting to feel worse just thinking about it. Check the blog later to see if I'm still alive. I don't need this mess!
No comments:
Post a Comment